Subject: Re: mips ports (was: pica port - when SGI ???)
To: None <gritton@byu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/1996 12:39:08
On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, Jamie Gritton wrote:

> Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> writes:
>
> > It seems it would be a good idea to start splitting the MI R* code out
> > and making a common pool for it, since two ports now use it...
>
>    Pmax and what else? I've been considering working on a port to the
> mips RS2030, RC3240, and possilby RC6380. This would probably be much
> easier if there were standard mips processor code that could have
> different machines attatched to it. Once I get a pmax up, perhaps I
> can begin looking at it. Has anyone else worked on this? Are other
> ports (e.g. 68k) doing this?

Yes. I'm not sure how much code is shared (it's in arch/m68k), but
there's a good bit. I seem to recall the mac port got a big boost towards
040 machine support from work on one of the other ports (Amiga I think).
Also, we recently rolled in an FPU emmulator so machines can boot w/o
math chips. So the sharing can help a lot. :-)

take care,

Bill