Subject: Re: paging questions
To: Mike Long <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Shyeah right. What am I gonna do with a gun rack? <jgraham@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
Date: 03/13/1996 16:32:15
Could someone add this to the NetBSD operations FAQ (if indeed such
a document exists)? This would be very handy; unfortunately I (and
others, I'm sure) tend to gloss over things, or read and then throw
away important things, remembering them just long enough for a boss
to walk into one's cube and jar the details from our heads.
Mike Long sez:
* You can use vnd devices (See vnd(4), vnconfig(8)) to swap to files.
* Make sure lines like the following are in your kernel config:
* config netbsd root on sd0 swap on sd0 and vnd0
* pseudo-device vnd 4
* Then something like this should work:
* dd if=/dev/zero of=$SWAPFILE bs=1k count=$SWAPSIZE
* vnconfig -c /dev/vnd0b $SWAPFILE
* swapon /dev/vnd0b
* I don't use NFS, but you may want to read diskless(8).
I use NFS but I don't inhale.
"Your chief has even inscribed his name on the sole of my boot."