Subject: Mips CPUs support....
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/1996 12:44:02
Peter Galbavy writes:
>I was always under the impression that the pmax port was a different
>family/generation of R4xxx processors. It is just that 4400 sounded
>more like a current SGI box.

All but the last model of Decstation use R3000s (or R2000As, which
is an R3000 core in an R2000 pin-compatible package), as
do  older mips-based SGI boxes (e.g., 4D series).  These are "Mips-I"
family machines.

The Decstation 5000/260, and current SGI machines, use some variety
of r4000, or "Mips-III" family machines.

Before anyone leverages this too far, the common parts of the R4400
Pica port, and the R3000 code in the pmax port, need to be identified
and merged.  I'd also like to be able to support a single kernel
capable of booting on either r3000 or r4000 systems -- e.g., for
installation on  Decstations, including the 5k/260.

--Jonathan