Subject: Re: linux audio code
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1996 10:19:46
Quoting Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU,

> nothing in the (nebulous) kernel interface says that
> 'memset' is a function that should be used in the kernel, and it
> should not be.

> If you want to change all of the bcopy/bzero instances to mem*
> equivalents, that's one thing, but don't add new functions to the
> kernel because somebody screwed up some new code that they wrote.

I'm not sure I understand this.. Is there such a thing as a 'kernel
interface', i.e. a list of kernel library functions that should be
used? And, secondly, suppose there are >= 2 places in the kernel
where you need to initialize a bit of memory with a certain byte value,
are you saying that one should, even then, not define memset()?

- Frank