Subject: Re: linux audio code
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1996 23:07:51
> On Sun, 10 Mar 1996 14:01:41 -0500 (EST)
>  "Nathaniel D. Daw" <ndd2@columbia.edu> wrote:
>
>  > Building a kernel from this morning's sup, I can get all the way through
>  > the compilation but fail on the linking when linux_audio.o references
>  > _memset, which cannot be found. Anyone know the solution?
>
> libkern is lacking a memset() function.  The appropriate .S and .c files
> need to be stolen from libc ...

As it should be!  nothing in the (nebulous) kernel interface says that
'memset' is a function that should be used in the kernel, and it
should not be.

If you want to change all of the bcopy/bzero instances to mem*
equivalents, that's one thing, but don't add new functions to the
kernel because somebody screwed up some new code that they wrote.

cgd