Subject: Re: Routed, anyone?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1996 20:20:00
Julian Bean writes:
>I am trying to use routed to broadcast routing information from my subnet
>(of two machines) to my ISP.

Amazing.  Last I looked NetBSD's routed spoke only RIP v1 and that
doesn't really support subnets.

>I set routed running.

>My machine, in 30 seconds or so, broadcasts this route to my ISP's router.
>So now my ISP's router knows that 205.199.253.26 is reachable vi
>205.199.253.24.

I presume with "my ISP's router" you mean their terminal server that
handles your PPP link.  Or, more accurately, the router with the IP
address that's configured as the "destination" of your PPP interface.

>But, after three minutes, routed gets bored and decides to delete its route
>to tnt via ppp1, because it has not heard anything about that route.

That's because it hasn't received any RIP packets from the IP address
at the other side of the PPP link.  See why that box doesn't speak RIP
to you.

>  Then
>shortly after, the ISP's router deletes its route, and *bang* my powermac
>is off the net again.

That's because, since routed has decided that there is no RIP-speaking
router at the other side of the PPP link (indicating that the link is
not working) hence it won't send RIP packets over PPP link.

>Anyone know how to tell routed not to delete a particular route, every time?

Check your configuration or declare the real RIP-router at your ISP as
a distant gateway in /etc/gateways.  You probably want to declare it
as distant passive gateway.

It's all in routed(8), BTW.

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.