Subject: Re: man pages & style guide
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/1996 14:51:50
> > This is one of those areas where I "quietly" disagree with JTC (and
> > others etc...) and think that the ANSI environment brings such
> > benefits to the developer in terms of prototyping, type standards
> > etc that it should be considered a requirement for coding in C
> > nowadays. It is not (as some people see it) a lazy programmers safety
> > net.
> I wholly agree !!!
>
> Please look forward. Backwards compatibility with pre-ANSI/ISO C platforms
> is Ok, but only if you can actually think of such platforms today (also
> bearing in mind that the porting of gcc is a pre-requisite for porting
> NetBSD).

Sorry, but I don't agree.

Quite some times, I've had a need to port some program or even kernel module
to some BSD derived system (e.g. SunOS). Granted, most of these platforms do
have gcc running, but it might not be installed on a particular system.
Granted also, that the possibility to replace kernel modules is greatly
reduced in modern times :-(. And you probably can't get non-ANSI compilers
on current OSs anyway.

But I'd really hate it if I'd loose the possibility to use part of the NetBSD
source on some other platform (which can't be changed to run NetBSD for various
reasons).
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800