Subject: Re: man pages & style guide
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@SOLON.COM>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/1996 14:29:02
> Would anyone like to offer an example of a machine that:
> 1.  Can physically run NetBSD in principle.
> 2.  Does not have an ANSI compiler.
> 3.  Cannot build gcc.
>
> The last is the killer; there is no way we will *ever* be able to support a
> machine that doesn't support gcc, without a major rewrite of, at a bare
> minimum, the C compiler.  Given that, we can *assume* an ANSI-like compiler
> underlying the bootstrap effort; without gcc, we're long-dead anyway.

Except, that i don't think that the strategy of:
	"make (at least parts of) it build with the native compiler,
	then switch to gcc when we've shown that something useful can
	happen"
is at all uncommon when doing ports...

Certainly, that's the strategy that i used on the Alpha port.

Now, granted, DEC's compiler is "ANSI-enough" (it supported
prototypes, but unless i'm mistaken, at that time didn't define
__STDC__, or relied on OSF/1 user-land headers to do so), but that may
not be true for other ports.

cgd