Subject: Re: Tcl7.5 and NetBSD-current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Callum Gibson <callum@bain.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/1996 10:09:10
der Mouse writes:
:-)> Actually, I can see software breaking if long is smaller than
:-)> (void *), but I can't see how or why it would break if long was
:-)> larger than (void *).
:-)I can.  I've seen interfaces abused where a function takes a void *
:-)cookie and some caller shoehorns an integer into that cookie.  I think
:-)Xt, the X toolkit, is an example; I'm quite sure it's got grossly
:-)nonportable interfaces littered throughout it; indeed, a few of them
:-)are even visible to its clients.  (One reason I don't use Xt.)

That's strictly correct, although it must be said that the usual case
where the integer is "shoehorned" involves relatively small values, even ones
which would fit into a char, such as "which button was pressed", "which
menu entry was selected", and the like. So in practice it wouldn't actually
_break_ many applications.

regards,
    Callum

Callum Gibson                                             callum@bain.oz.au
Global Markets Division, DB Bain & Co.                        61 2 258 1620
## The opinions presented herein do not represent those of DB Bain & Co ###