Subject: Re: Routed, anyone?
To: None <neil@domino.org>
From: Alec H. Peterson <chuckie@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1996 22:20:36
Neil J. McRae writes:

>It is then it needs to be. Routeing updates is what is killing the internet
>at this time, Cisco's can't handle theses sort of updates in any
>great quantity.

I beg to differ on this point.  First of all, the routing updates that
are traveling over the net make up a very small fraction of the total
amount of data being sent over the 'net.

As far as cisco's not being able to handle the updates, I think it has
been displayed that they can handle that kind of load quite well.
Granted re-calculating routes does take a good chunk out of a CPU,
most of the backbone routers nowadays can handle it without much
trouble.

>NetBSD however can ;-)

No argument there, although I think that as far as handling routing
updates goes, it is pretty dependant on the CPU in the machine, as
well as the bus speed.

Alec

--
|Alec Peterson - chuckie@panix.com   | Panix Public Access UNIX and Internet|