Subject: Re: man pages & style guide
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1996 18:55:55
>>>We'd like to make it possible for NetBSD to be compiled with pre-ANSI
>>>compilers.
>
>>Humph.  Why bother?

>Because bringing up a new port on a foreign machine with a
>brain-damaged compiler can be impossible, or at least very difficult,
>if you don't do it this way.  Remember, NetBSD is multi-platform, and
>tries to make it as easy as possible to port.  Which means building
>pieces of the system with someone else's compiler.

While this makes sense at first glance, gcc will eventually need to be
ported to this new machine type, so why not just require it and expect
some ANSI?

Anyhow, I don't much care.  I can adapt ;)

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!