Subject: Re: Routed, anyone?
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1996 09:46:45
On Wed, 6 Mar 1996 22:51:52 +0000
 Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk> wrote:

> I am trying to use routed to broadcast routing information from my subnet
> (of two machines) to my ISP.
>
> In principle, it works.  I log on to my ISP.  I am elsie.mailbox.co.uk =
> 205.199.253.24.  Fine.  My machine knows that it can also reach
> tnt.mailbox.co.uk = 205.199.253.26 via its other interface.
>
> I set routed running.

ARG! routed is the son of satan. Why are you using anything but static routes?
There is no need here to use the routed. Unless your  advertising like 40
different routes. Just put the routes in and leave them.

> My machine, in 30 seconds or so, broadcasts this route to my ISP's router.
> So now my ISP's router knows that 205.199.253.26 is reachable vi
> 205.199.253.24.

Oh god this is sick.

> tnt is simply sending all packets via elsie, which has IP-forwarding on.
> So I have a mac fully on the net via my BSD box.  Cool. Everything works
> (Netscape, Eudora, etc.)
>
> But, after three minutes, routed gets bored and decides to delete its route
> to tnt via ppp1, because it has not heard anything about that route.  Then
> shortly after, the ISP's router deletes its route, and *bang* my powermac
> is off the net again.
>
> I can add the route again simply by typing "route add tnt tnt", but it will
> go again in three minutes.
>
> Anyone know how to tell routed not to delete a particular route, every time?

Yes, don't run it use static routes.

> BTW, what's EGP?

Exterior Gateway Protocol, more evil.

Neil
--
Neil J. McRae                                 DNS: Domino Network Services
neil@domino.org         NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)