Subject: None
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1996 19:03:30
I'm pleased to announce the beta of my nsswitch dispatch routines.
They can be found at:
	netbsd.rmit.edu.au:/pub/werj/nsswitch/*

This release has the following new features:
- nsswitch.conf parsed on-the-fly if it's newer than nsswitch.db
- nsswitch.db is generated by any privileged process that can
  exclusively create nsswitch.db.tmp. At the end of the parse, a
  rename from .db.tmp to .db is performed.
- if nsswitch.db.tmp exists or can't be written to, an 'in-memory'
  .db file is used (i.e, one w/o a permanent file on disk) - this
  way that further lookups for the same process are still kept
  fast w/o the need for extra parsing. (This also meant that I didn't
  have to reinvent the wheel WRT data structures - I could still use
  the DB routines)
- all of this means that there is no need for ns_mkdb(8) - you just
  run any root process that does some form of lookup after editting
  the file.

These features should keep those those who didn't want the ns_mkdb(8)
program happy, as well as keeping me happy (less code changes, as well
as the Need For Speed ;)

Download the code. Look at it. Install it. Find bugs. Report them :)
I'd like this code tested enough so that it can be put into the main
source tree.

Luke.

--
Luke Mewburn                            UNIX Technical Support
<luke.mewburn@itg.telstra.com.au>     CPR Project, ITG, Telstra.