Subject: Re: man pages & style guide
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/1996 19:09:50
> On a not entirely unrelated note, whilst browsing around my new userland, I
> read the BSD style guide.  It is not exactly my personal C style, but it's
> pretty close, and I'm prepared to adjust.  But why do we dislike ANSI
> function definitions, with parameter types in the arglist??  I was brought
> up on this (I learnt C from the Que C Quick Reference Guide *shame*
> although I did later read K&R on the subject).

We'd like to make it possible for NetBSD to be compiled with pre-ANSI
compilers.

> Also, although I feel much less strongly about this, why do we not named
> parameters in prototypes?  I always feel this makes header files nicely
> self-documenting...

Possibly for aesthetic reasons.  To not intrude upon the user's
namespace, we'd have to prepend underscores to function argument
names.

	extern foo __P((int __bar, int __quux, int __quuux, ...));

Also on line manpages are probably better documentation for most folks.

	--jtc