Subject: Routed, anyone?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/1996 22:51:52
I am trying to use routed to broadcast routing information from my subnet
(of two machines) to my ISP.

In principle, it works.  I log on to my ISP.  I am elsie.mailbox.co.uk =
205.199.253.24.  Fine.  My machine knows that it can also reach
tnt.mailbox.co.uk = 205.199.253.26 via its other interface.

I set routed running.

My machine, in 30 seconds or so, broadcasts this route to my ISP's router.
So now my ISP's router knows that 205.199.253.26 is reachable vi
205.199.253.24.

tnt is simply sending all packets via elsie, which has IP-forwarding on.
So I have a mac fully on the net via my BSD box.  Cool. Everything works
(Netscape, Eudora, etc.)

But, after three minutes, routed gets bored and decides to delete its route
to tnt via ppp1, because it has not heard anything about that route.  Then
shortly after, the ISP's router deletes its route, and *bang* my powermac
is off the net again.

I can add the route again simply by typing "route add tnt tnt", but it will
go again in three minutes.

Anyone know how to tell routed not to delete a particular route, every time?

BTW, what's EGP?

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |