Subject: Re: Do you use xntpd?
To: None <is@beverly.rhein.de, tls@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/1996 20:35:56
	What is _really_ needed is to take on FreeBSD's 'ports' mechanism
	(I wish to hell they'd picked a different name.. but...)

	Where you can cd into a directory (which contains the patches for
	a given program and where to get the source) and type 'make'.
	If the source is not locally present it will ftp it back, then
	apply the patches, then build.

	Given the multi-arch nature of NetBSD this is _so_ much better
	suited than binary packages.

	With the exception of the name - is there any reason why NetBSD
	hasn't picked up on this?

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
 >=- OpenBSD http://www.openbsd.org. Free un*x for {sparc,i386,m68k,...} -=<
       <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>