Subject: Xbsd
To: None <kpneal@unity.ncsu.edu>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/1996 14:16:26
You wrote (in your message from Thu 29)
 > So, right now we have a different X server program for just about
 > every different platform & gfx card. Bleah.
 >
 > So how about this: having a generic X server that
 > has no DDX layer, but instead dld's the ddx.o file for
 > the gfx card specified in some config file or argument?

This is what is intended for some future revision of XFree86. The work
has started with X extentions (Xinput is already dynamically loaded in
the new 3.1.2D beta release, PEX and XIE will follow).

On the other side, there is also a need for better kernel support in
the probe and configuration of the boards to reduce the security
problems. Linux folks have started something in this area.

					Matthieu