Subject: Re: Do you use xntpd?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/1996 10:55:56
Thor Lancelot Simon (tls@NetBSD.ORG) wrote:

: I'm trying to get a feel for how many people are actually using NTP with
: NetBSD; now that there's NTP support in the kernel, it would seem to me at
: least that if a significant fraction of NetBSD users are using NTP, it might be
: beneficial to include it in the source tree, but I need some data to back up
: this assertion.
:
: Do you use xntpd on your NetBSD machines?

yes
:
: All of them?  Most or many of them?

part of them. hm... most of them. I have it on all Sparc/SunOS machines
at work, and was just too lazy to install it on the, still somehow
experimentally operated, netBSD machine there.

: On a very large network where it would be a significant 'win' if you didn't
: have to roll xntpd into each new 'standard' distribution that you run on all of
: your machines?

yes, definitely.

: Would you find it useful is xntpd were included in NetBSD even if the version
: sometimes lagged slightly behind the version distributed separately?

Hm... depends. On the other hand, I'm used to reinstalling sendmail
every other week to keep up with security patches, so I could do that
with xntpd too, if need arises.

: Do you consider NTP timekeeping a piece of 'core' OS functionality like BIND,
: which could be unbundled but oughtn't be?

errr... not really. What should be around, is some form of package, so
that it is easy to get it in.

Regards,
	i.s.