Subject: TIMEZONE and DST - obsolete?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/1996 20:23:04
I notice that when looking in the sparc kernel config files, they all have
the TIMEZONE and DST options marked as obsolete..  however, you can't compile
a kernel without them as they are used to initialise a tz strucure in
sys/conf/param.c .. none of the other ports seem to declare them as obsolete
(there is a comment in the mvme68k config file, but that is descended from
the sparc one) except the mac68k ones -- I have grepped through the entire
sources, and they only seem to show up in param.c

Are they really obsolete?  nobody else seems to have noticed - the sparc port
just defines them as 0, but everybody else seems to use them as if they
really do something.

Following it through the system, only sys_settimeofday and sys_gettimeofday
in kern_time.c seem to use the tz variable that holds their values, and I
guess it only makes a difference if the time of day is gotten before it gets
setten..  I can't quite work that out though (I thought it was all done in
/etc/localtime but that might come later)

I was wondering whether to send a pr and reduce the fluff, but now I'm not
so sure..

]ain