Subject: Re: Tcl7.5 and NetBSD-current
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/1996 14:01:35
> On Thu, 29 Feb 1996 21:57:20 -0600
>  Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com> wrote:
>
>  > Well, actually, we seem to use ANSI C; we don't use any GNU extensions other
>  > than long long that I know of.  Nor should we; other compilers may be
>  > better or freer, later, and gratuitous dependancies are evil.
>
> I think our varargs/stdarg stuff uses GNU C extenstions...

Yes, but argument passing, especially for varargs functions, can be
highly compiler dependent, and you typically _need_ to use special
compiler hooks to implement it...

E.g. on the alpha, under the OSF/1 cc i'd have to use a special set of
hooks to tell the compiler what i was doing in my varargs macros, and
under gcc that set of hooks is a bit different.  nothing you can do
about that.  (For a while, in my NetBSD/Alpha tree, i had #ifdefs for
both, but they've since disappeared.  8-)

cgd