Subject: Re: Tcl7.5 and NetBSD-current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/1996 10:43:24
>> Well, actually, we seem to use ANSI C; we don't use any GNU
>> extensions other than long long that I know of.  Nor should we;
>> other compilers may be better or freer, later, and gratuitous
>> dependancies are evil.

> actually, quite a bit of our source tree depends on extensions that
> gcc provides.  ktrace uses one.  a lot of the 'asm' parts of the
> kernel and userland are another.

Good, now I don't feel so bad. :-)  That fsresize I mentioned on some
one of the netbsd lists recently depends heavily on gcc's nested
function definition support, and in some cases on the lexical scoping
it provides, and thus would be a mess to try to rewrite in C (as
opposed to gcc); with thorpej (I think that's who it was) recently
remarking about someday looking to import it, then this, I was
wondering if it'd get rejected because of that. :-(

Of course, it still might, but I don't feel quite so guilty now. :-)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu