Subject: Re: Utility of DESTDIR (Was: Re: libgcc won't build (960210))
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/1996 13:46:36
On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Greg Earle wrote:

> > Greg Earle wrote:
[snip]
> > Hmmm...
> >
> > Can you install the new gcc into $DESTDIR/bin, and then put that at the top
> > of your path for the next stage of compilation?
>
> I hadn't thought of that.  That might work ... set $DESTDIR, do the steps
> that Jason Thorpe mentioned, then reset $PATH and re-try "make build" from
> /usr/src.

But is this correct? Don't we really want 3 c compilers? Consider the
case of cross-compiling. There's the c compilier for the native system,
targeting the native system. There's also gcc running on the host
targeting the destination system, and gcc running on the destination,
targeting the destination. So the gcc in DESTDIR/bin might not even run
on the compiling host. :-(

Take care,

Bill