Subject: Re: Modifying /usr/src
To: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/1996 11:40:26
>This is pretty much the procedure I use.  The only caveat is that, once
>you've modified something, the original is no longer visible, _even_ if
>you subsequently delete the modified file!  (A white-out gets created to
>keep the original hiddden.)  What I do to get around this is to unmount
>the union fs, delete the file, and then re-mount the union fs.

You can remove the whiteout, can't you?

In any case, I use the sup+cvs method.

What I do is sup into a directory, use cvs and a small script to
import this supped source into cvs, and then I cvs update my /usr/src
from that.

When new files are added or old deleted, magic happens and they are
fixed.  When files are updated from the sup, magic happens, and so far
I've had to only fix two conflicts.

This works _wonderfully_ and if I could I would export this tree.
However, until CVS is able to use a TCP connection rather than a
rsh-style...  I guess I can't.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!