Subject: Re: Tcl7.5 and NetBSD-current
To: Dave Cherkus <cherkus@unimaster.com>
From: Don Lewis <gdonl@gv.ssi1.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/1996 18:09:44
On Feb 28,  7:40pm, Dave Cherkus wrote:
} This issue is being debated in the commercial UNIX world right now.
} There's something called the "Single UNIX(r) Specification" being put
} out, and it follows the LP64 model i.e. longs and pointers are 64 bits
} and ints are not (they are 32 bits).  It is not ILP64 (all three are 64
} bits), which is what HAL and SGI's 64 bit environment support.  I know
} DEC and HP are in the Single UNIX camp.

Is HP going to support this on their HPPA-1.0 and HPPA-1.1 architecture
boxes, or just their new hardware?

BTW, I've heard that BIND chews up a lot more memory on DEC Alpha boxes
because it stores a lot of pointers, and 64 bit pointers hurt a lot in
this instance.

			---  Truck