Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits (fwd)
To: Arne H. Juul <arnej@pvv.unit.no>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/1996 16:43:02
>  > Now, when I do:
>  >
>  > peter@peter.noc.demon.net $ cpp -dM < /dev/null
>  > #define __GCC_NEW_VARARGS__ 1
>  > #define __NetBSD__ 1
>  > #define sparc 1
>  > #define __GNUC__ 1
>  > #define unix 1
>  >
>  > I see no __STDC__ defined. What am I missing here (ie where would __STDC__
>  > be defined) or are all the source files really being compiled (in userland
>  > at least) without prototypes for the standard libraries ?
>
> Actually __STDC__ *is* defined, unless you use -traditional, even if it
> is not reflected in -dM output.  This is probably a bug or misfeature
> in the -dM handling in cpp.

This is reassuring. The reason I ever looked in the first place was that
no prototype was being generated for ntohl etc on my i386 box. It was
giving me errors regarding __builtin_const_p or whatever, whih on further
investigation occured when __GNUC__ was defined but __STDC__ was not.
I "worked arround" it at the time.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org