Subject: Re: Tcl7.5 and NetBSD-current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, gdonl@gv.ssi1.com>
From: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/1996 00:40:03
> From: gdonl@gv.ssi1.com (Don Lewis)
> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 14:50:54 -0800
> To: current-users@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Tcl7.5 and NetBSD-current
>

> Does anyone have any information about how this is handled by other
> Unix versions that have a 64 bit off_t.  The ones that I know about
> are DEC Unix, SGI Irix, and Convex's OS as I recall.  On the Alpha and
> the R4xxx family longs are 64 bits.  I don't know what the scoop is
> for R3xxx and Convex machines.

I'm currently doing some work on a HaLstation. This is a FULL 64bit
implementation of Solaris. 64-bit addressing, 64-bit file systems,
64-bit everything!

lseek() returns a off_t. An off_t is defined as a long. On Hal machine
a long == int == 64bits.

Also, on a HaLstation they have defined types int16_t, int32_t and
so forth. And they define the implied type.

Also, 32 bit applications run in 64 bit mode without change. Over
all a very hot box!

-brad w.