Subject: Re: demand-dial ppp?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Laine Stump <laine@morningstar.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/26/1996 08:45:39
On Sun, 25 Feb 1996 10:29:13 GMT, neil@domino.org wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Feb 1996 19:15:46 -0600
> Travis Hassloch x231 <travis@evtech.com> wrote:

>> I've got an extra machine (but no Cisco) and I want to do demand-dial ppp
>> on a "normal" tel line.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
>> If my main machine (i.e. disk server) could do it, so much the better, but
>> if I have to dedicate a machine to it that's okay too.
>>
>> While I'm at it, it'd be nice to set up some kind of incoming packet
>> filtering.  I hear morningstar PPP can do it but I don't know of anything
>> else that can.

>Morninstar can do this, but you'd be better of installing ipfilter and using
>that, MST runs in user space and when busy drops packets... The dial on
>demand stuff for MST is, however, second to none.

I dare say that at normal async tty levels, the small inefficiency
introduced by having the majority of the ppp daemon in user space
(rather than in the kernel) will not make enough difference to result in
any dropped packets.

However, the point is moot since, although we have ported our PPP to
NetBSD, we currently have no plans to market it to the general public.

Laine Stump
Morning Star Technologies