Subject: Re: identd not responding (?)
To: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/1996 10:21:59
In some email I received from Randy Terbush, sie wrote:

> > > ... there's no OS name registered for UNIX-alikes that aren't real
> > > UNIX, and certainly none for NetBSD itself.
> >
> > Yes, I discovered that myself while looking into RFC 1700. Why don't
> > we simply register "NetBSD-1.0", "NetBSD-1.1" and maybe "NetBSD-current"
> > at the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority?
> >

> I would prefer that we remain as "OTHER".

If I remember the RFC correctly, this field describes the type of reply
being returned (I could be wrong).

'other' is typically used for encrypted replies which are `useless' to the
end user.  My advice is to just recompile identd such that it returns
"UNIX" if you are supplying normal usernames in replies.

I know certain people disagree with my view on how ident replies get used
in various places, but that is _currently_ the best that is available and
better than any other alternative I've seen suggested.  That potential for
abuse exists is not a new thing for the internet.