Subject: Re: Status of nsswitch code?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
From: Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller@cs.colorado.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/1996 13:22:14
In message <199602250055.LAA13746@balrog.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
	so spake Luke Mewburn (lukem):

> As far as I know, there isn't a freely available NIS+ implementation
> at all. If there is, please point it out and I'll massage the
> functions into the various libc code (with my nsswitch code it's
> fairly easy to add extra 'databases' (e.g, NIS+), and since I've
> already got provision for NIS+ it's even easier - just provide the
> functions).

Looks like something called NYS exists for Linux.  The following
from from NYS-Tips.txt found on ftp.cc.gatech.edu in the dir
/ac88/linux/distributions/redhat/docs.  Since it claims to
be public domain it should be possible to include with NetBSD.

  o  What is yp? NIS? NIS+? NYS?

     These questions are answered in the NIS-HOWTO.  Read it - it even
     comes with Red Hat in the ldp RPM and on the CD-ROM.  If you
     install the ldp RPM, you will find the NIS-HOWTO in /usr/doc/HOWTO.

     The quick answer is that while yp ("Yellow Pages") is the phone
     book in Britain, NIS is the traditional RPC-based implementation
     for sharing passwd, group, hosts, services, and other useful things
     between many machines.  NIS+ is a snazzier, and more secure
     reimplementation of the same idea.  NYS is the public domain
     version of same.

 - todd