Subject: Re: demand-dial ppp?
To: Travis Hassloch x231 <travis@evtech.com>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/1996 10:29:13
On Fri, 23 Feb 1996 19:15:46 -0600
 Travis Hassloch x231 <travis@evtech.com> wrote:

> I've got an extra machine (but no Cisco) and I want to do demand-dial ppp
> on a "normal" tel line.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
> If my main machine (i.e. disk server) could do it, so much the better, but
> if I have to dedicate a machine to it that's okay too.
>
> While I'm at it, it'd be nice to set up some kind of incoming packet
> filtering.  I hear morningstar PPP can do it but I don't know of anything
> else that can.

Morninstar can do this, but you'd be better of installing ipfilter and using
that, MST runs in user space and when busy drops packets... The dial on
demand stuff for MST is, however, second to none.

> I'd like to use NetBSD but if I can't I'll dedicate another machine and
> run whatever it takes (Linux, etc).  Suggestions, pointers to more info
> appreciated.  Please CC to me, as I'm not on current-users (only enough
> time for tech-kern :))

I don't know if any PPP that runs under netbsd can do this.

Neil.

--
Neil J. McRae                                 DNS: Domino Network Services
neil@domino.org         NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)