Subject: Re: Status of nsswitch code?
To: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/1996 11:55:32
Peter Svensson writes:
> I am interested in the current status of the nsswitch code. Is it stable
> enough for use in a production environment? Are there any plans to
> include it in the source tree?

I'm currently in the process of re-working the backend so that it
doesn't require ns_mkdb - i.e, it will parse on the fly if necessary.
I just have to test the parse on-the-fly stuff and it should be ready
for release. (Work commitments and fratzing a SCSI controller have
been slowing me down...)

> Since we are switching from NIS to NIS+ as our password distribution
> system I have been meaning to port an existing NIS+ implementation to
> NetBSD. Or does such an implementation already exist for NetBSD?

As far as I know, there isn't a freely available NIS+ implementation
at all. If there is, please point it out and I'll massage the
functions into the various libc code (with my nsswitch code it's
fairly easy to add extra 'databases' (e.g, NIS+), and since I've
already got provision for NIS+ it's even easier - just provide the
functions).

--
Luke Mewburn <luke.mewburn@itg.telstra.com.au>
"This is the central trick of the censor: to exaggerate the importance of the