Subject: Re: kernel build problems
To: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/1996 14:43:05
>>>>> "Ignatios" == is  <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE> writes:

Ignatios> The unterminated character constants com from the use of
Ignatios> perfectly legal (to as) ' signs in perfectly legal as
Ignatios> comments, which aren't cpp comments und thus are seen by
Ignatios> cpp. which complains.

It's good that they are legal, so the cops won't hassle you.  :-)

Ignatios> Does anybody know if something got missed in the gcc
Ignatios> upgrade?

It seems you want a traditional cpp behaviour and not tokenizing ANSI
behaviour.  So use -traditional.  The behaviour of cpp is certainly
valid (maybe required) in this case.  I don't have the ANSI text, but
from the old C++ ARM, there's a sentence in 16.1:

A source file text is decomposed into preprocessing tokens and
sequences of whitespace.

As the tokenizer finds a lexical error on the lines in question I find
it natural to report an error.

God, I hope I remember things right.... I hate not having the real
references handy.

Niklas