Subject: SUP errors (Portmaster problems?)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/1996 11:56:02
Hi there all.

I have only just subsrcibed to current-users, as I have only just
started trying to track -current.

And that's where the problem is.  I can't get sup to work.

On small collections (ksrc-mac68k,doc) it works absolutely fine.
However, allsrc and ksrc are a complete no-no. After a while they
get Network read & write errors (apparently, connection reset by
peer).

If it is a sup-v and I am watching the log file grow, it will
get to a certain file and then pause for around 4 or 5 minutes,
and then give up.

When it broke twice on the same file last night
(/usr/src/sys/kern/exec_ecoff.c) I put that file into a
refuse file, and it then got past it, and broke on a later file
(sorry, I forgot where).

When browsing through the archives of the last fortnight, I
noticed someone commenting that their ISP's Livingston
Portmaster chokes sometimes on a sup (in fact, they said
reboots).  Now since I freelance for my ISP, I am in a
position to play around with our POrtMaster if necessary.

I checked it, and it certainly has not rebooted.

I have seen a suggestion somewhere that certain bit-patterns
can upset it.  Could I solve this by putting an escape option
in my ppp setup?

FWIW, my NetBSD machine is a Macintosh LCIII running an almost
current kernel and 1.1 binaries.  I would update to -current
if I could get sup to work ! It is connected to the 'net by
a 19200 PPP link over a 14.4K modem (USR Sporster Mac & Fax)
It also sometimes acts as a router to a PowerMac running
MacOS over a serial cable PPP link.

Any ideas, anyone?

Jules