Subject: Re: Parallel port problems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Graichen <graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/1996 18:15:35
Ken Hornstein (kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil) wrote:
: >I've been having trouble printing with my pentium onto a postscript
: >printer.  The printer will print a few pages and will then report a
: >postscript error.  This seems to indicate to me that the driver is
: >sending some bad data out the parallel port.  This will happen if am
: >using lpr or just cat'ing into the device.
: >
: >Any thoughts?
: Are you using the interrupting parallel port driver?  (lpt0).  If so, then
: use the polled parallel port driver.  AFIAK, no i386-based Unix has a
: working interrupt-driven parallel port driver (I'm pretty sure the Linux
: and FreeBSD ones are all polled).  If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear about
: it!

FreeBSD's is inerrupted by default - the linux one you may switch to
interrupted i think - and at the university we have a printer connected to the
inerrupted lpt port (FreeBSD) - here at home it only works with polled mode
using my hp deskjet 600 (maybe a bogus lpr port on the card) - but i can use
the parallel port tcp/ip mode of FreeBSD fine using interrupted mode - thus i
think it's maybe worth looking into the FreeBSD lpt driver

  thomas graichen    graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de    graichen@FreeBSD.org

  perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when
      there is no longer anything to take away    antoine de saint-exupery