Subject: Cheap CD-ROM
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/19/1996 23:23:40
Please delete now if you don't appreciate "commercials"...

Here's a tip if you're looking for a good, cheap CD-ROM.  I just
bought one off Insight's web page (www.insight.com), in their Blowout
section, in the Blue Plate Specials: Sony double-speed SCSI CD-ROM,
$59.  It's not super-fast, but it's CHEAP!  It works fine with my
BusLogic BT747s, with three other fast SCSI-2 drives on the chain.  It
doesn't look like it has any way to run sideways without the CD
flopping over, so you'll have to take that into consideration if you
can't mount it level.

I know people here are more interested in high-quality (read: SCSI)
peripherals than in the 'net at large, so I thought I'd throw this
out.

I'm even picking up a second one as a spare (and I have a quad-speed
SCSI CD-ROM already, on my NT machine, in addition to this one I just
bought). :-)

If you buy one, please mention my name. :-)  Maybe I'll get a medal or
something...

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...