Subject: binary editor...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 02/19/1996 00:01:42
>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com> writes:

Peter> Do we have a binary editor more sophisticated than clever 'od'
Peter> tricks?  I've been writing one, because I've never found a unix
Peter> based hex editor I really liked, and I'm wondering if there'd
Peter> be any intrest.

	Emacs has 'hexl-mode' which is good as a binary editor for
files smaller than your available swap or 1 gig (whichever is
smaller).  Hexl-mode can be entered in more recent emacen (I use
19.30, but works as far back as 19.25 for sure) by simply loading the
file, and typing <ESC>xhexel-m<return>.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |