Subject: Re: mail - does anyone use this?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/1996 16:07:14
> I'd like to see about 3 new features in mail, but I'm not sure if
> they'd break anything.  They would be:
> 1.  Fix the delete message count bug.  (read message two.  Delete it.  hit
> return, and get message four.)

I think that this is not a bug in delete, but rather how the message pointer
is updated after commands.  I think a new variable could be added that would
enable a different algorithm.

> 2.  Add a | command, and |'s in save filenames - "| cmd", "s 1 |cmd",
> and "1,5 |cmd" should all work, IMHO.

The pipe command is actually required by POSIX.2.  The save to a pipe
option is not specified, and the syntax for the latter is "| 1,5 cmd".

> 3.  Add "set signature=/file/name".

POSIX.2 specifies "sign" and "Sign" variables that are brought in with
the appropriate ~ escapes when composing messages.

	--jtc