Subject: Re: Tuning NFS server performance?
To: Arne Helme <arne@pegasus.esprit.ec.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/1996 15:46:17
>Except for the parameter to nfsd to start more daemons, what other
>parameters or tricks can I use to tune NFS server peformance in
>NetBSD?  Is NBUF of any relevance for a machine with much memory?

I use rsize=4096,wsize=4096 when I mount nfs from one NetBSD to
another.  This made things more than 8x faster from the default.  I
don't know why.  I suspect there is too much burst traffic for the
crappy ISA ethernet card I have to buffer it.

When using TCP, btw, I notice a severe dip in performance, using a
ping-ping read/write loop, around 4096 byte read/writes.  I get almost
7.9Mbps at large buffer writes, abour 3.2 around 2048, but at 4086 it
drops to < 1Mbps.  At 8192, it doubles, and 16384 it starts to get
back to where it should be.

Just for kicks, 4096 is the page size on the i386.  Is this a factor
perhaps?  If not, well, anyone wanna guess what is going on?  :)

>The first thing I discovered was that NetBSD did not detect more than
>64 MB om memory on this machine, but Charles Hannum provided me with a
>small hack to machdep.c that fixed this problem.

Yea, that's a BIOS problem.  I don't think the BIOS can report more
than 64M.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!