Subject: Re: can anybody explain this?
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/1996 21:22:44
   That may or may not be the problem, but problems with OOB handling may
   exist.  I found the message below on comp.bugs.4bsd; I'm reposting it
   for the sake of those who don't read news.  I don't know if *BSD has
   the same problem with OOB messages that the author experienced.

BSD is where the `OOB' handling in TCP originated.  The fact of the matter
is that TCP is not designed to support OOB data at all, and the BSD way of
doing it is a major hack.  The only way to do this correctly withing the
TCP spec is to use a second connection for transmitting OOB data.

(I talked with Sam about this just yesterday, BTW...)