Subject: Re: TCP connections
To: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/1996 18:26:18
>   Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 00:35:31 -0800
>   From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
>	In this case, you should look at using screen,
>   ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/screen-3.7.1.tar.gz.  It will let you keep a
>   session running across logins.

>Ah again!  I didn't know about `screen'.  It looks like it has a zillion
>features we don't need, but maybe they won't get in the way.  If `rlogind -n'
>doesn't do it then I'll try `screen'.

IMHO, screen is as essential to a fully configured unix system as your
favorite shell, and your favorite X window manager.  I wouldn't run a
unix system without screen.  Given that, you'll probably want to
install just to have it.

The benefit, then, is that you can run your program under screen,
detach the terminal, and reattach any time you log on and want to
watch the progress of your big job.  You can even run top and/or
vmstat in a separate screen window so you can watch resource usage
while everything is in operation.

Screen is also indispensable for admining a large number of servers.
Just log in to each in a separate screen window from one machine, and
there you go -- you're able to admin them all from a text dial-in.

Are you convinced yet? ;-)  Maybe I should get a commission for this...

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...