Subject: Re: can anybody explain this?
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
From: John C. Hayward <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/1996 10:47:30
On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, John Kohl wrote:

> My backup script does some rsh's/rdumps and some local dumps.  Once in
> about every 5 nights,  I get a timeout on one of the rshs in the middle
> of the script.  Which one fails seems to change each time.
>
> Can anybody provide a sensible explanation for this?  If I were awake at
> 4:40 am when this runs from cron, maybe I could debug it, but I refuse
> to do that on general principles :)

This may be related - We have some gateways which have energy saving BIOS.
It would spin down the disk drive and put the CPU in a low power mode.  We
had problems with sometimes accessing the systems after going into low
power mode (disk would report errors).  We disabled the power saving mode
for disks and that resolved the problem.  This was before 1.1 came out and
it may be that the wd driver has modified it's time out values.  We still
have the cpu going into low power mode and there is a noticeable delay when
attempting to login while it comes back to life.

We recently got up xntp and timed and now are occasionally getting reports
that machine x is not responding to timed updating.  Possibly related to
CPU idle state - haven't checked.

> ==John

johnh...