Subject: Re: can anybody explain this?
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/1996 15:28:13
------- =_aaaaaaaaaa

To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:28:13 -0500
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh>

>My backup script does some rsh's/rdumps and some local dumps.  Once in
>about every 5 nights,  I get a timeout on one of the rshs in the middle
>of the script.  Which one fails seems to change each time.
>
>Can anybody provide a sensible explanation for this?  If I were awake at
>4:40 am when this runs from cron, maybe I could debug it, but I refuse
>to do that on general principles :)

I have seen random rsh failures on other systems - maybe it's a general
BSD bug w.r.t OOB data handling?  (Does rsh use OOB data?  I know rlogin
does).

You _could_ always run tcpdump -w from cron over that time period to log
what's going on (I mean, you'd probably be doing something like that
anyway, so there's no reason to be up for it :-) ).

--Ken

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--