Subject: Re: Dynamic devices (and i386 bounce buffering)
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/1996 14:37:37
According to Gordon W. Ross:

>> From: blymn@awadi.com.au (Brett Lymn)
>> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:30:05 +1030 (CST)
>
>> I chose an "idle" moment to diddle with my scsi bus on a SunOS 4.1.3
>> machine - except that the machine a few seconds later decided to wake
>> up and do something, just after I had removed the scsi terminator.
>> The result was a totally trashed /  - fsck was finding so much wrong I
>> just reloaded the whole OS because there was little point, things like
>> /bin/sh were toast.... :-(
>
>On Sun machines, this is easy:  Just drop into the PROM monitor for a
>moment while you are messing with the SCSI cables.  NetBSD kernels
>with DDB should be able to do the same - drop into ddb for a sec.

Yeah I know - there was much smacking of head saying D'OH _after_ the
event.  The only defence that I can plead is that I got the bad habit
when my machine partitions were NFS mounted.  Just don't try this at
home boys and girls ;-)

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.