Subject: Re: TCP connections
To: None <explorer@flame.org>
From: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1996 21:33:12
   Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 21:40:38 -0600
   From: "Michael Graff" <explorer@flame.org>

   >I am trying to set up a telecommuting system for my company.  One thing I have
   >noticed is that if a remote user has established a TCP connection (`rlogin',
   >say) over PPP, and the PPP connection goes down for a while -- I haven't taken
   >the time to figure out exactly how long -- the TCP connection will be closed.

   I think what you are trying to do is insane.  :)

   Why not just reconnect?

Oh -- I guess I left out a key piece of information: we use large, long-
running CASE applications here that build up large amounts of state within the
process (250MB process sizes are not unusual around here).  It can be a major
hassle to rebuild that state after logging out and logging back in.  This is
exactly what we are trying to avoid.

			    TCP connections shouldn't survive 24 hours of
   interruption in network connectivity.  In fact, I believe there are
   standards that would be violated all over the place by allowing this
   sort of thing.  Perhaps you should get the TCP RFC and read it?

Maybe I should, but I don't really see what harm is done if we choose to
violate some such standard internally.

-- Scott