Subject: Re: TCP connections
To: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1996 21:40:38
>I am trying to set up a telecommuting system for my company.  One thing I have
>noticed is that if a remote user has established a TCP connection (`rlogin',
>say) over PPP, and the PPP connection goes down for a while -- I haven't taken
>the time to figure out exactly how long -- the TCP connection will be closed.

I think what you are trying to do is insane.  :)

Why not just reconnect?  TCP connections shouldn't survive 24 hours of
interruption in network connectivity.  In fact, I believe there are
standards that would be violated all over the place by allowing this
sort of thing.  Perhaps you should get the TCP RFC and read it?

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!