Subject: Re: FYI -- Linux for PowerMac (fwd)
To: Matt Ragan <matt@ibmoto.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1996 16:24:02
On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Matt Ragan wrote:

> I'd personally like to see NetBSD get onto a CHRP-compliant system.  I'm
> not a fan of MacOS, AIX, NT, Solaris, or Linux, and I'd like to get a
> real OS on one of the boxes we're putting our chips in.  If anyone is
> willing to seriously commit to getting NetBSD ported to a (non-Mac) PowerPC
> system, I'd be willing to try to get some resources coughed up for the
> project.  I don't know what, if anything, I'll be able to do, but I'll
> make my best effort.

The Mac68k list has been making noises about this for a while. Allen
Briggs, mac68k's port maintainer, got together with some of the ppc/Linux
folks, and started OpenMac, an effort to get info to port free unix to
Mac's. As next-gen macs == CHRP, we're interested in it. For more info,
look at: http://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/index.html

Bill