Subject: TCP connections
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1996 13:53:35
Hello all,

I am trying to set up a telecommuting system for my company.  One thing I have
noticed is that if a remote user has established a TCP connection (`rlogin',
say) over PPP, and the PPP connection goes down for a while -- I haven't taken
the time to figure out exactly how long -- the TCP connection will be closed.

It would be nice if we could arrange for people to be able to hang up the
phone for long periods -- at least 24 hours, and preferably arbitrarily long
-- without losing their TCP connections.  Does anyone reading this know by
what mechanism the loss of PPP connectivity is detected?  Would it be hard to
modify the NetBSD kernel to disable this mechanism?

(Right now we are running SunOS, but we plan to try NetBSD as soon as the
sun4m port is pronounced fit for public consumption.)

-- Scott