Subject: Re: Dynamic devices (and i386 bounce buffering)
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1996 09:52:08
Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com said:

>Are you sure?  I've yanked my CD-ROM drive off my NetBSD machine after
>booting, to use on my Windows machine, many times without a problem.
>I sometimes then bring it back and plug it in, without rebooting, to
>read something off a CD.  No problems.  I've also done this with tape
>drives.
>
>I'm using a BusLogic BT747s, but I don't know why that would make a
>big difference....

I've seen the SCSI port wedge on:
Sun 3 hardware
Sun sparc hardware
Intel boxes with any of the Adaptec 154x and 174x family of SCSI controllers
NCR UNIX boxes

I can't say that I've ever tried it with NetBSD.  I've seen both SCO UNIX
and SunOS 4.1.3 contaminate filesystems after SCSI termination was removed
by a scavenger.  Solaris 2.x and others just wedge.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com	    rmk@tencats.rmkhome.com
                http://tencats.rmkhome.com