Subject: Re: serious routing problems..
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1996 01:12:42
>>Have you considered trying to turn off RFC 1323 timestamp stuff and

>However, I do not believe this is the problem.  Chris said he cannot
>reach machines, not that he can't telnet.  I would have assumed he
>tried ping, which isn't affected by the rfc1323 stuff.

Yes, but a TCP packet with "bad" timestamp data in it could possibly
kill the router (or make it act screwy), which would then affect all
traffic going through it.  We had just this problem a little over a
year ago in Telecomm on the Xyplex dial-ins: certain times of the day
(depending on the data in the time stamp), telneting from the NetBSD
box in Telecomm would reboot whichever Xyplex card you were trying to
telnet into.  A software revision several weeks later fixed the
problem.  We fixed in the interum by just building a kernel with the
RFC1323 stuff turned off.

If the software in the router didn't handle this data properly, this
is a potential result.  I would hope ISU is still using all Ciscos.
And, I would expect Ciscos to properly handle this by now.  But, ya
never know...

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...