Subject: bogus dd restrictions
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1996 20:34:05
I was trying to read something from near the end of /dev/mem yesterday with

# dd if=/dev/mem bs=32768 skip=65536 count=1

(I wanted a copy of the eprom image from my pc532...)
the response I got was:

dd: seek offsets cannot be larger than 2147483647

with the ffs being able to handle large files, and off_t
being 64 bits, I suppose this should be fixed.  I may try
to fix this, but I haven't looked into it yet, and I may
not be able to for various reasons 8-(  Anyone want to take
a stab at it?

BTW, while waiting for a large job to finish, I discovered that:

% backgammon -w
Segmentation fault

(It is supposed to not bother asking you if you want instructions,
what color you want to play, etc. and just start the game with you
playing white, according to the man page.  This is most certianly
NOT an important bug by any real measure, but a bug none the less.)

Should I send-pr these?  After I have a patch?

Jon